You always hear from people around you and from different sources. They could be news, research reports, especially from health professionals, and it states that 8-hours sleep every night is a healthy sleep hour. But you are wondering if sleeping for fewer hours could have any adverse effects.
There is a fact that babies sleep for more hours, even up to 20 hours a day. Adults also get between 7 to 8 hours a day, while older adults get fewer hours. Though the viewpoint that sleeping for 8 hours every day due to the health benefits is a generally accepted standard, yet sleep hours is not fixed, it varies among individuals and different ages. Nonetheless, when the sleep hour is less than 8 hours, it may be accompanied by unfavourable health complications. These complications include poor work or study state the next day. Such as nervousness, anxiety, depression, mooing and the whiny sound of complaints. All of them are symptoms of insomnia. Insomnia can result in serious health risks, which include stroke, high blood pressure, heart disease, and mental health disorders. Statistics have shown that up to 27 per cent of people worldwide is suffering from sleep-related symptoms.
But how can you have a good night sleep?
Just lying down may not give you sleep at ease. Moreover, if your sleep is not deep, you will be easily woken up. Perhaps, this is insomnia! As a matter of fact, when you have a sleep disorder, characterized by poor sleep, short sleep time, dreaminess, frequent awakenings, and difficulty in falling back asleep, this is abnormal.
Types of Insomnia
The types of insomnia that require doctor's attention fall under the following 3 criteria:
- Transient Insomnia
Insomnia can be considered temporary or transient when it only occurs and abates within 1 week, without treatment.
- Acute Insomnia
If you are experiencing sleep difficulties and disorders for less than a month, you will be diagnosed with acute insomnia.
- Chronic Insomnia
If the sleep disorder condition persists longer than a month, chronic insomnia will set in. Individuals with chronic insomnia do have an abnormally low level of melatonin and high cortisol. It can result in rapid-eye-movement, which interferes sleep.
What are the causes of insomnia?
The causes of insomnia include:
1.Mental and Psychological factors
These are the main causes of insomnia. More than 40 per cent of insomnia is due to these factors. They include polar disorder, anxiety, inability to concentrate, depression, and psychotic disorders.
2.Environmental and physical activities
Jet lag known as time zone change syndrome, work shift changes, environmental noise, high altitude, extreme heat or cold, and stressful day.
Medical conditions, such as chronic pain, nasal/sinus allergies, asthma, arthritis, sleep apnea, hyperthyroidism, stroke, tumour, cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases, and much more.
Oestrogen and shift of hormones during menstruation.
Taking a large quantity of food at night as well as coffee and tea, and excessive alcohol intake.
Other factors include snoring partner, genetic conditions, parasites, hyperactive mind and brain, and pregnancy.
Is it true that older people sleep less?
Frankly, older people sleep less than the younger people. So if an older person sleeps less, he/she may not be having any physical or mental problem. Nevertheless, if an old person is experiencing a sleep disorder that meets the insomnia criteria discussed above, the old man or woman may be suffering from a disease.
Can late night sleep result in more sleep hours the next day?
Most times, you may be compelled to sleep late due to one or more tasks, either a task with a close deadline or entertainment. And you may be feeling sleepy the next day. However, if you stay up late because of your poor health condition, it will result in melatonin secretion disorder. And the next day, quality sleep is not guaranteed. Consequently, it will have negative effects on your physical and mental health. As well as on your memory, concentration, attention, response and reaction ability, and emotional stability. Therefore, it is advisable that you ignore the activities that will make you sleep late. J turn off your phone or the video, and go to bed.
But how can you get rid of insomnia and have quality sleeping nights?
- When you visit doctors regarding your insomnia, after the diagnosis, medications are the major things they will prescribe. The insomnia drugs include corticosteroids, alpha blockers, statins, beta blockers, ACE inhibitors etc. But do not take a medication without your doctor's approval or prescription. Moreover, long-term use of medicine, especially the antipsychotic pills, may lead to drug dependence and abuse. Nonetheless, if a patient will take pills, generally recommended to take the medications for 1 to 2 weeks, and not more than 4 weeks.
- Another way you can have a good night sleep is to watch your dinner diet. Ensure your dinner is light and do not overeat.
- Having a walk around in the home with light exercise, and taking your bath after each of the workouts can improve a quality night sleep.
- You cannot ignore your lifestyle. Try not to be too noisy or hyperactive in the night. Reduce night entertainments and activities. Do not sleep in a too bright room. Avoid stimulating drinks that contain psychoactive substances, such as coffee, tea and alcohol. Stop taking psychoactive drugs, such as opioids, tramadol. cocaine and heroin.
- Before going to bed, use hot blisters foot and take a moderate amount of warm milk. These enhance deep and quality sleep.
- If possible, try to choose a comfortable quiet sleeping environment.
- If you are stressed, try to distract yourself. Making a phone call to your family members, friends or a loved one is a good choice before you go to sleep.
- Ultimately, identifying the right mattress. Though most people are yet to recognize the importance of mattress in abating insomnia. The type of mattress you sleep on plays a pivotal role in achieving quality sleep, also get rid of insomnia. You may have taken the above-mentioned steps. But if you don't have the right bed, you can not have a quality sleep and your insomniac condition will be worsened.
Perhaps you are wondering how and where you can get the right mattress, so that you can improve your sleep and get rid of insomnia in no time. Deciding on the right mattress that will soothe you might be a hard nut to crack. But you do not need to he hankering, because we are here to save the day for you. We produce different types of mattresses of diverse sizes, design, styles, and firmness fitting for all age groups and different health conditions.
What is the difference between insomnia caused by depression and general insomnia? Unlike common insomnia, insomnia caused by depression has two major features. First, it will be difficult for the affected person to fall asleep, he or she will feel unrest at night. Second, the affected individual will wake up early, and unable to fall asleep till the daybreak.
In both cases, people's thought and reasoning will change. For instance, they may think about things they did not do well, repeatedly regretting and blaming themselves. And in the long run, they will become depressed. They can't sleep well in the previous night, this will reduce their physical and emotional energy to carry on their daytime activities. These symptoms will have great impacts on the patient's psychology, physiology, daily life activities, and their general lifestyle. If this happens, instantly visit a specialized hospital dealing with depression or anxiety.
As mentioned earlier, we are not being superfluous. Our customers testify that our mattresses have healing power. The magic is that we produce the best mattresses, and we have experts in sleep concepts. We try to listen to our customers' queries, take time to understand their sleep and health conditions, and provide them with the right guidance and mattresses that will not only give them quality sleep but also improve their health conditions. If you buy a mattress from us today, you too will not hesitate to add your testimonies to our archive.